One hurt in Onehunga metal factory fire

Save
Fire crews are working to put out a fire in a metal factory in Onehunga. Photo / File

A person has been injured in a metal factory fire in Onehunga.

At least eight crews are at Hayes Metals on Neilson St where a copper coil caught fire just after 8.30pm

One person, believed to be a worker, has been taken to hospital in moderate condition after suffering smoke inhalation.

Northern fire communications shift manager Jaron Phillips said staff on site were communicating with emergency crews. He said everyone had been safely evacuated from the building.

Phillips said the copper coil has been removed from the building.

According to their website, Hayes Metals has been a processor and marketer of recyclable metals, which are refined and sold internationally to customer's specifications, for over 70 years.

"A progressive fourth generation family-owned and operated enterprise, the group has gained an enviable reputation for innovation, quality and excellence in its recycling and smelting operations," the website reads.

Share this article

More National